a lil history
April 24, 2009 § 1 Comment
- The Zionist movement was born in Europe in the 1880’s. Most of its members were European Jews. It wanted to create an “Israeli” state for Jews only on Palestinian Arab land and exclude the Palestinians from being full citizens in Israel.
- During World War 2 the german government killed around 12 million people, 6 million of whom were Jews. This is called the Holocaust. After the Holocaust, in 1948, the Zionists invaded Palestine and established the Jewish-only state of “Israel” on indigenous Palestinian land with support from the British government. For generations Palestinian Arabs had lived there, built homes, had families, grown food, celebrated traditions. 450 Palestinian towns and villages were destroyed and the Palestinians fled for safety in neighboring countries such as: Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon, and Syria.
- In 1967 the Israeli military attacked Egypt, Syria, and Jordan. This is called the Six Day War. At the end of the short war, the Israeli military controlled the West Bank of Jordan, the Gaza Strip and Sinai Peninsula of Egypt, the Golan Heights of Syria.
- To this day Israel still controls the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. Thousands of Israeli soldiers occupy the West Bank to keep the Palestinians under control. The soldiers determine when you can leave your house, when and if your children can go to school, they can make you stand outside in the sun or cold for hours, they can ask for your ID at any time, they can invade your house at any time, the soldiers have all of the power and can do whatever they want, whenever they want, with very little oversight.
- There are no soldiers inside Gaza. But Palestinians are not allowed to leave Gaza to travel. They are trapped inside a tiny piece of land, 25 miles long with 1.5 million people. It is called the largest open-air prison in the world.
- Frequently Israelis shoot or bomb the Palestinians or imprison them for resisting the Israeli occupation.
- Israel does not like for foreigners to visit Gaza and the West Bank because Israel wants to hide how they are committing genocide against the Palestinian people. The Israel government would like for all the Palestinian people to be gone from their homeland in Palestine. Four times as many Palestinians have died during the Occupation than Israelis. The United States government gives 3-6 billion dollars a year to Israel in support of its military occupation. This is why I traveled to Israel/Palestine, because we cannot let the crimes of a US supported Zionist nation go silent. We must tell the truth in the face of power.
trying to write a short accessible history of israel/palestine…