why i am awesome
September 11, 2009 § 5 Comments
1. i have cool hair.
2. i can do the splits.
3. my daughter counts half in arabic. half in english. and throws a couple of alphabets in the recitation for good measure.
4. i took my daughter to see and hear subcomandante marcos live two nights in a row when she was 8 months old.
5. i am a really good singer and performer.
6. i can still pass for a high school student.
7. i once spent a month being called mama maisha by east congolese women community builders.
8. for a couple of weeks this year my nickname by sudanese refugee gang boys was: the girl who says she is not from jamaica.
9. i run ubuntu on my computer.
10. i once wrote a poem that began: i write to tell you about survival/how we cut through the walls of death and vacant breaths/and keep grabbing for life
11. i have cool friends all around the world who do really amazing work under some of the least resourced situations. they see miracles happen everyday.
12. i practice revolutionary love everyday.
13. i once wrote a song that says: dont ask me for no/ revolutionary love/ if we fight the good fight/ that should be good enough/ who says we’ll win/ when the world is falling apart/ we fight for freedom with a broken heart
14: i am a really good dancer.
15 i can read quickly
16. i am a genius.
17. i am flirtatious.
18. i am a good teacher.
19. i learn languages quickly.
20. i have great taste in books.
21. i once hustled a bus ticket from toronto to montreal from a police officer.
22. both of my parents claim i am too much like the other one.
23. i am really good at collaborative work.
24. i have lots of stretchmarks. i look like a wild cat. naked.
25. i am courageous.
26. i am calm and focused in a crisis.
27. i have more questions than answers.
28. i am willing to fight and love for what i believe in.
29. i live in cairo!
30. my partner is in law school.
31. nikki giovanni, after hearing my poetry, said to me: you should have been named nikki.
32. i am crazy.
33. i read wrinkle in time yesterday.
34. i am becoming a good photographer.
35. i love the wind at the beach.
36. i am a poet.
37. i am brimming with beautiful ideas.
38. i am a doula.
39. i spent a month hanging out with the hare krishnas
40. i am a survivor.
41. i can crack every bone in my body.
42. habibi loves me
43. i am queer.
44. i am really cute.
45. i can make really ugly faces.
46. i am all about supporting people’s artistic expression.
47. i once wrote a song that said: so whats the worst thing you can say about me baby?/im a little bit selfish/well there is a lot worse things i could say baby/ like at least i know im free.
48. i am a really good community builder. i mean in a real community. i am not good at building community with a bunch of folks who dont want community.
49. i am always discovering new things about myself and the world.
50. my favorite curse word is fuck
51. i still think daria is hot.
52. i have a strong spirit
53. i come from a lineage of fighters and lovers and hustlers.
54. black is beautiful
55. i dont vote
56. i dont bully.
57. i can recite the preamble to the us constitution
58. my voice sounds great recorded
59. miley cyrus’s song ‘the climb’ makes me tear up.
60. i am very wary of censorship.
61. my exboyfriend’s mother used to call me: the street urchin.
62. i love old mercedes benz’s.
63. i dream of living on the beach.
64. habibi just got a bangin new job!
65. aza is a happy go lucky adventuress.
66. i had a great time in my twenties. i travelled. i lived as a poet and artist. i fell in love. i got hurt. i fell in love again. i became a mother. and fell in love again. i travelled even more.
67. i have beautiful eyes.
68. i am a libra sun. leo moon. aquarius rising.
69. i am so excited about life!
70. i have realized: that i dont need people who dont need me.
71. i have a beautiful body.
72. i get homesick even though i dont have a home
73. i am a bad ass activist
74. i have lots of haters.
75. i am open to changing my mind if i see i am wrong
76. i call bullshite when its bull shite.
77. i still believe in happy endings.
78. i swear by tiger balm, echinacea, and kava kava
79. i am an outlaw midwife.
80. i am a revolutionary mother.
81. i am a witch.
82. i pray to frika kahlo, santa muerte, and oshun.
83. i still want to go bungee jumping, sky diving, and para sailing.
84. i am a fairy.
85. i am a black southern goth.
86. i love my glasses.
87. i have cool handwriting.
88. i have a beautiful profile. and aza has it too.
89. i love ripe avocados with lemon and hot sauce and salt.
90. my grandmother is beautiful.
91. wrong is not my name
92. still i rise
93. i am reading the stories of eva luna
94. i read 20 y 10 — the history of the zapatista’s written with the zapatistas— in spanish.
95. i spent three days with aza and habibi at the ezln women’s encuentro.
96. i am really good in sex.
97. i am a visionary.
98. i am a mystic.
99. i am a healer.
100. i am me.