yes. yes. everyone knows that.
September 2, 2010 § 8 Comments
im not exactly sure the right way to say this but
1. i find myself in conversations, where someone will disagree with me (and i like debates and when folks disagree with me.) and the other person is arguing for some position which is the dominant hegemonic position. as if i just hadnt considered that maybe:
–poverty is an individual choice
–middle class white n american values and practices are just better
–poc take race way to seriously
–more expensive stuff is automatically better than less expensive items
–us democracy is the best system of government possible
–sweatshops are good for third world economies
why does the other person feel the need to spend minutes, lots of them, explaining to me why their hegemonic ideas are valid?
i mean, what i want to do is just throw up my hands and say, yes! we all know this already! hegemony!
i am just not that interested in hearing the same ideas that are regurgitated in the media, the education system, and the government day after day
2. frustration. that i can be really trying to work through ideas and see the world clearly and boldly and some one can honestly think that a valid response to this is to explain to me that the dominant values are dominant because they are dominant.
3. it is the cowards position. it is not an indication of strength, but of desperation, external power and control. it doesnt require thinking, actually it is the opposite of thinking, it is just regurgitation of ideas that we have all heard a thousand times already. and repeating them is not adding a damn thing to the conversation.
4. here is the thing. if you really accept the logic that the masters have told you. then you are fucked. see, the masters logic dont make no sense. but you bought into it. so when you hear actual thinking that is connected to material reality, you arent going to be able to comprehend it.
5. the fact is that you are stepping in the convo assuming that the other person just does not understand the dominant position. and that shows that you are super disconnected from reality because OF COURSE THE OTHER PERSON KNOWS THE DOMINANT IDEAS.
6. yes i had considered that idea. actually, i had no choice but to consider that idea, because that is the idea that we are force fed from the day we are born (and before we are born). and in considering that idea, for years, i have concluded it is invalid. have you considered that idea that you are responding to me as if i just arrived in society a day ago and you have to show me the ropes? and since this is obviously not true, because i have been in this society for longer than a day, then i have to wonder, what world are you living in? and when do you plan to return to this one?
this is especially ironic because often the person who is arguing HEGEMONY! acts as if i am just not being ‘realistic’. when reality is that EVERYONE, EVEN ME, IS INTIMATELY FAMILIAR WITH THE HEGEMONY.
7. like i said, i like a good debate. you disagree with my ideas. i would love love to hear yours. but if the best that you got is, i disagree with you because of hegemony. then i may try to bring you back to reality once or twice. if i give a damn. but after that…i just am shaking my head and walking away.
not because i think i am right. im probably wrong. but damn, at least im thinking.